Monday, January 19, 2009

Three ways I could use blogs in my class!

1. As a teacher I think communication is extremely important that’s why I believe that my students could use blogs to communicate their ideas, their questions or concerts with their peers as well as their teachers. For example I thought that Mrs. Burgos’ video was a great way to introduce herself to all of her students. I believe that it gave us the chance to get to know a little more about her and her expectations. I personally would love to have the opportunity to be able to communicate with my students in a similar way. For example I would love if during the summer I could create a video blog for my students to view and get to know me before classes would actually start. I would also like if they could share their reactions to my video or simply share something about them by creating their own personal video presentations.

2. Now days it is very common for kids all over the world to communicate with their peers using “myspace” or “facebook”, so it’s pretty clear that most kids are interested in today’s technological world. I think teachers could incorporate technology/blogs into their students’ daily school activities. For example as a 6th grade teacher I am aware of several book clubs that are taking place where I work and I think it would be wonderful if students could have the opportunity to communicate their reactions or feelings towards the book that they are reading. Students could share their opinions or talk about interesting facts they read. I actually have a little cousin who started her own blog based on a very well know book called “twilight.” Her blog talks about why she loves the book so much, how she and her friends can relate to the story and the characteres, all her friends share pictures and pretty much discuss their favorite parts of the entire book series.

3. At my school we have a blog called “parent portal” which gives parents the opportunity to check on their children’s school work. Every Friday teachers update their blogs and post new grades or new assignments that parents should be aware of. Teachers not only post their student grades on the parent portal but also attach helpful files/sites that can help parents know how they can assist their kids. In my case I post how I grade my students, my expectation as a Spanish teacher and I also have the Spanish curriculum, which explains each topic, what my students will be learning and when there will be any sort of assessments.

6 comments:

  1. Karla,
    Great pictures! I agree with your ways to use blogs to help teachers communicate with students, students to communicate with each other, and teachers communicate with parents. Isn't it amazing how much today's kids know about technology? I would have loved a book club like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karla,
    Your school seems to have a great passion for keeping communication open and receptive to the ever changing methods of communication. I wish that my school would allow us to place assignments, grade, or even tutorials to assist parents in becoming/staying involved in their childs education. Do you find that the majority of your families use the "parent portal" or is it there as a safety net for the school and families if needed? I look forward to working with you in this class as we explore the new literacies available to us on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Darby, ;-)
    Great post! I never thought about using blogs in book clubs. I LOVE it!!! What a great way for the kids to interact with technology while responding to literature! Also, I love the idea of having "parent portal" at your school. Do the parents use it frequently?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla,
    I'm impressed that your school has a parent portal. Is it 2 way communication? Can the parents post queries or comments or does it serve more as a public bulletin board?
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear karla!

    i would say the same that i'm impressed by the idea of parent prtal. i will take this idea back to my country. thanks for sharing
    saima

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow!!! you've obviously done this blogging thing before. Great site, I know I'll definately being checking your blog out for ideas. Connie

    ReplyDelete